Dental Crowns Can Restore a Compromised Smile
Crowns are one of the most common and versatile types of dental restorations. Customized to match the surrounding teeth, these caps rest on top of damaged teeth to provide support, enhance aesthetics, and restore bite alignment. They can also replace a missing tooth in conjunction with a dental implant. Dr. Munal S. Salem and his skilled associates proudly offer highly lifelike dental crowns to our patients in Southshore, MetroWest, South Coast, and Cape Cod. Contact Alpha Dental Center today to learn more about crowns and how they can benefit you.
About Dental Crowns
A crown is a tooth-shaped cap that covers a tooth following treatment for damage or decay. It can also restore a dental implant. After the tooth has been treated, the dentist will take impressions of your newly reshaped tooth. We will send those impressions to a dental lab, where technicians will create a restoration that is custom-designed to match your natural teeth.
The crown should be ready in about two weeks, and we can provide a temporary crown in the meantime. During your second visit, the dentist will make sure the crown fits and does not upset your bite alignment. Next, the crown is attached using dental cement.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns can serve many beneficial purposes, including:
- Repairing a broken tooth
- Supporting a dental bridge
- Restoring a tooth following a root canal procedure
- Strengthening a cracked or otherwise weakened tooth
- Concealing severe stains
- Enhancing the appearance of a worn or misshapen tooth
- Restoring a dental implant to replace a lost tooth
Dental crowns can be made from several types of material. Each has unique advantages, and we will help you select the right kind of crown for your needs. Your options include:
- Metal: Gold and metal alloy crowns are incredibly strong and durable. However, they are not intended to look like natural teeth. If you are interested in metal crowns, we typically recommend them only for the back teeth.
- Porcelain fused to metal: PFM crowns offer the durability of metal restorations, but because they are covered in a porcelain shell, they will also match the shade of your natural teeth.
- All porcelain: Porcelain crowns are a great option to uphold the aesthetics of your smile. They come in a variety of shades, and your dentist will choose the one that most closely matches your natural teeth.
- Zirconia: This advanced type of dental porcelain offers the durability of metal and the aesthetic benefits of dental ceramic. Additionally, zirconia has a unique microstructure that gives the restoration a natural-looking sheen.
During your initial consultation, you and your dentist will discuss your goals in order to decide which material is the most appropriate..
Learn More about Dental Crowns
If you require extensive treatment for tooth decay, have suffered dental trauma, or have lost a tooth, we can restore the health, functionality, and appearance of your smile with custom dental crowns. Contact our office today to schedule your first consultation.